Ballymore Parish Church

2a Armagh Road, BT62 2AY Tandragee



Parish Church in Tandragee.
Church of Ireland.
Diocese of Armagh


Ballymore Parish Church was founded in 1812



Ballymore Parish Church was mentioned in ecclesiastical records at least 650 years ago. In 1343 Roger Sampford held possession of a Prebendary of Armagh for the Parish Church of Tamlackikieth with its churches and chapel. Afterwards it was called Tonlegee which means “back to the wind” and from which the present town name of Tandragee derives. We cannot fix a definite date for the founding of Ballymore but this information would indicate that by 1343 the church may have moved to its present magnificent site. The name Ballymore means “big townland”.

Tandragee owes its origin to the Castle next to the Church, which was erected by the O’Hanlons and later rebuilt by Sir Oliver St John. The successive Duke’s of Manchester lived in the Castle right up to the last century and were important benefactors of the Parish.

Numerous Church buildings have existed on this site over the centuries. In February 1812 the Church building of that time was pulled down in order to build a bigger Church as the existing one had become too small for the congregation. During the building, parts of the old walls were revealed and found to be over four feet thick and made of brick. The loopholes and embrasures showed evidence of a fire which records say took place in 1641. The new Church was built by means of a loan of £1,384.12s.3 ¼ d from the old Board of First fruits to which Lady Mandeville added £700. It was dedicated to St Mark.

In 1846 the transepts and chancel were added. In 1884 inside renovations were carried out and a new organ, the gift of the 7th Duke of Manchester was placed at the side of the chancel. The building is cruciform and originally had old fashioned boxed seats and a gallery at the west end (these were removed in 1956). There were also two large enclosed pews, one in each transept; the Rectory pew in the North and the Duke’s pew in the South. A fireplace adorned the wall beside the Duke’s pew but no such luxury was afforded to the Rectory family!

The oak panelling in the Sanctuary, along with the cherubs in the Baptistry and the carvings of musical instruments on the front of the organ loft, came from the Chapel in Tandragee Castle. A new digital organ was purchased by the Parish in 2010. In the last year the East Window which depicts the Gospel writers has been totally restored at a cost of £30,000 and it has now all been paid for by the generosity of parishioners and through money raised in the Bicentenary events in 2012.


Christian Church

Places Nearby

Arts & Entertainment

Number 15
BT62 3 Portadown
Arts & Entertainment

Automotive, Aircraft & Boat

Cliffs school of motoring
tandragee, bt622bh Tandragee
Driving School, Automotive, Aircraft & Boat, School

Automotive, Aircraft, Boat

A.D Car Services
Edendell, Banbridge
Automotive, Aircraft, Boat

Car Dealership

Wilsons Auctions
BT63 5 Portadown
Car Dealership, Auction House


McAlinden & Murtagh Funeral Directors Ltd
43 Ardmore Road, Derryadd, BT66 6Qp Lurgan
Funeral & Cemeteries Service

Cosmetics Store

Jeunesse NI
20 Moyallen Road, BT63 5JX Portadown
Cosmetics Store, Professional Service, Shopping & Retail
Sally SalonServices Portadown
BT1 6ED Lisburn
Cosmetics Store, Beauty, Cosmetic & Personal Care

Engineering Service

Dawson Manufacturing & Engineering
3 Charlestown Crescent, BT63 5ZE Craigavon
Engineering Service, Local Service, Commercial & Industrial

Home Decor

Dave Bowman Decor
52 Selshion Hall, bt62 4jr Portadown
Home Decor, Local Service, Professional Service

Local Business

Tandragee Golf Club
BT62 2 Portadown
Golf Course & Country Club, Food & Beverage
Natural Stone Centre
1 Annaloiste Road, BT66 6 Lurgan
Garden Center, Landscape Company
The 13th At Scarva

Local Business
Millbank Livery
27 Bann Road, BT 35 6QZ Poyntzpass
Local Business
Sintons At The Bridge
2 Station Road, BT636JY Scarva
Indian Restaurant

Local Service

Graceland Print & Design Ltd
Unit 5-6 Carn Business Park, Carn Road, Portadown
Local Service, Professional Service, Business Service

Nail Salon

Paulina Nails
Nail Salon, Professional Service

Nursing Home

Rathowen Nursing Homes
118 Portadown Road, BT62 2 Craigavon
Nursing Home, Nursing Agency


Love for Life NI
6 Banbridge Road, BT66 7QA Waringstown

Outdoor, Recreation & Fitness

Feeneys Gaelic Football School
57 Windy Ridge, BT32 3GW Banbridge
Sports & Fitness Instructor, Region
Evolve Fitness
38 Corcrain Avenue, BT62 4AF Portadown
Gym/Physical Fitness Center, Personal Trainer

Pharmacy / Drugstore

Dalys Pharmacy
1 Dromore Street, BT32 4 Banbridge
Pharmacy / Drugstore

Professional Service

18 Battlehill Road, BT62 4ER Craigavon
Professional Service, Religious Organization

Public & Government Service

Fields of Life
Public & Government Service, Nonprofit Organization, Region

Shopping & Retail

All Fired Up Stoves
33 New Line Waringstown, BT66 7RY Craigavon
Shopping & Retail, Home Improvement

Women's Clothing Store

Jane Norman
BT64 1AA Craigavon
Women's Clothing Store