Doonagore Castle



Category

Description

Doonagore Castle is a round 16th-century tower house with a small walled enclosure located about 1 km above the coastal village of Doolin in County Clare, Ireland. Its name may be derived from Dún na Gabhair, meani fort of the rounded hi tt of the gooonagore Castle is at present a private holiday home, inaccessible to the public.LocationDoonagore Castle sits on a hill overlooking Doolin Point and, along with a nearby higher radio mast, is used as a navigational point by boats approaching Doolin Pier. It is located in the townland Doonagore, parish of Killilagh, County Clare. It is generally considered to be located in the area known as the Burren.HistoryA castle was built on the site of an even earlier ringfort by Tadgh MacTurlough MacCon O Connor some time during the 14th century.The current structure likely dates from the mid-16th century. Unlike most tower houses in the region, this was built not from limestone but from sandstone drawn from the quarry of Trá Leachain about 2 km to the southwest.In 1570, it was owned by Sir Donald O Brien of the O Brien dynasty and in 1582 it was occupied by Brian MacCahill O Connor. In 1583, much of the property in the area was surrendered to the Crown and regranted to Turlough O Brien of Ennistymon. Doonagore soon fell to the MacClancy family, the hereditary brehons or lawyers of the O Briens.