Getchell Mine

Golconda, Nevada


Category

Description

The Getchell Mine is an underground gold mine in the Potosi Mining District of Humboldt County, Nevada, on the east flank of the Osgood Mountains, 35 miles northeast of Winnemucca. Prospectors Edward Knight and Emmet Chase discovered gold in 1933 and located the first claims in 1934. With the financial backing of Noble Getchell and George Wingfield, the Getchell Mine, Inc. was organized in 1936 and the mine was brought into production in 1938.The mining operation currently consists of two underground mines, Getchell and Turquoise Ridge, operated as the Turquoise Ridge Joint Venture. Barrick Gold is operator and 75% owner with Newmont Mining owning the remaining 25%. The mining method currently used is underhand cut-and-fill. The refractory gold ore is treated by pressure oxidation technology at the Twin Creeks Sage autoclave and gold recovered using conventional carbon-in-leach technology.The gold deposit is a sediment-hosted disseminated Carlin–type deposit, with sub-micron sized gold distributed in pyrite and marcasite.The mineral getchellite, a rare sulfide of arsenic and antimony, AsSbS3, was discovered at and named after the Getchell mine.

Places Nearby

Airport

Getchell Landing Strip
Winnemucca, Nevada 89414
Airport

Apartment & Condo Building

Willow Creek
Winnemucca, Nevada 89414
Apartment & Condo Building

City

Adam Peak

City

Landmark & Historical Place

Getchell Mine
Golconda, Nevada
Landmark & Historical Place

Local Business

Hogshead Canyon
Winnemucca, Nevada
Local Business
Barrick Turquoise Ridge Mine, Golconda Nevada

Tour Agency, City
Hansen Canyon
Winnemucca, Nevada
Local Business
Pinson Mining Company Landing Strip
Winnemucca, Nevada
Local Business
Felix Canyon
Winnemucca, Nevada 89414
Local Business
Peak Canyon
Winnemucca, Nevada 89414
Local Business
Farrel Canyon
Winnemucca, Nevada 89414
Local Business
Bunch Canyon
Winnemucca, Nevada 89414
Local Business
Dry Creek
Winnemucca, Nevada 89414
Laundromat
Soldier Cap
Winnemucca, Nevada 89414
Local Business

Locality

Turquoise Ridge Mine

Locality

Region

Turquoise Ridge

Region