Kilcorney, County Clare


Category

Description

Kilcorney is a civil parish in County Clare, Ireland. It lies in the Burren region of the northwest of the county.LocationIt is located in the Barony of Burren, north of Corofin. The parish is 3.5by and covers. The land is typical of the broken, rocky and hilly country of the Burren. In 1841 the population was 330 in 50 houses. In 1845, there were Catholic chapels in neighbouring Killeany and Oughtmama parishes, each with a hedge school.AntiquitiesKilcorney parish was in existence by 1302. It was the smallest parish in the diocese of Kilfenora, ranking 21st out of 23 in the taxation list of 1302-6. Given that, the size of the parish church was surprisingly large and it also sported a chancel, not a standard feature in local parish churches. It may have benefitted from financial support by the O Loghlen family, owners of Caherconnell cashel as well as the tower houses (castles) at Glensleade and Lissylisheen, all within 2 km of the church.The parish contains caves, a cromlech, and the ruins of an old castle. There is a cave in Kilcorney townland (Cave of the Wild Horses) that is the subject of several legends. One is that an enchanted horse came from this cave and propagated its breed throughout the country.Poulnabrone Dolmen is a portal tomb, dating back to the Neolithic period, and situated 9.6km north-west of the village of Kilnaboy.