St Colman s Cathedral, Cobh

Cobh, Ireland


Category

Description

The Cathedral Church of St Colman, usually known as Cobh Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Cobh, Ireland. It is the cathedral church of the Diocese of Cloyne. It overlooks Cork harbour from a prominent position. Construction began in 1867 and was not completed until over half a century later due to increases in costs and revisions of the original plans.ConstructionThe architects were Edward Welby Pugin and George Ashlin; construction began in 1867. When Pugin died in 1875, Ashlin took on the services of a Dublin architect, Thomas Aloysius Coleman, to assist him in the completion of the project. The clerk of works was Charles Guilfoyle Doran, who supervised the project until his death in 1909, when the cathedral was almost complete. The cathedral was finally consecrated in 1915.CarillonThe cathedral contains the only church carillon which, with 49 bells, is one of the largest carillons in the Europe. An automated system strikes the hour and 15 minute intervals while it also rings the bells in appropriate form for Masses, funerals, weddings and events. The carillon is also played on special occasions and generally every Sunday afternoon by its current carillonneur Adrian Gebruers.Bibliography Patrick Thompson, Guide to St. Colman s Cathedral, Cobh, revised edition, Carraig Print, Cork. Jeremy Williams, A Companion Guide to Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921, Irish Academic Press 1994. Paul Atterbury and Clive Wainwright, Pugin, Yale University Press 1994. Paul Atterbury, A.W.N. Pugin: A Master of Gothic Revival, Yale University Press 1995 Bernard J. Canning, Bishops of Ireland 1870-1987, Donegal Democrat, 1987